- Looks like you've got nothing in your cart. Why don't you visit the store?
So I was really hoping to kick the year off with something incredibly motivational, but instead, I want to send along something more pressing, a flu protection protocol. My patients and my family are falling victim to a nasty stomach flu that is circulating throughout North America and the GTA in particular. It appears to be indiscriminate to those who have received or not received the flu shot and my advice is relevant to everyone.
For everyone, including kids, I am recommending the following.
- Multi-strain probiotic (i.e more than just acidophilus). Take one with at least 25billion CFU
- Vitamin D – 2000i.u daily until spring. If you get sick, increase to 6000-8000i.u daily for up to 5 days.
- General immune support. I generally recommend Deep Immune (made by St. Francis Herb Farm). Follow the directions on the bottle. You can take this for up to 6 weeks.
- Multi-strain probiotic (kid version). Take one with at least 10billion CFU
- Vitamin D – 400-500i.u daily. If they get sick, increase to 1000-2000i.u daily for up to 5 days.
- General immune support. I generally recommend Deep Immune for Kids (made by St. Francis Herb Farm). Follow the directions on the bottle. You can take this for up to 6 weeks.
If you get sick, pick up a bottle of Saccharomyces boulardii. This is a probiotic designed specifically for loose bowel movements. It works really well. For kids, open a capsule and dip the tip of a banana in it or put on yogurt (but generally avoid dairy with digestive upset).
Everything should be available at a local health food store or via my online apothecary. (passphrase: inspiredwell)
Welcome to 2015! It can only get better from here.
Wishing you happiness and good health for 2015.