- Looks like you've got nothing in your cart. Why don't you visit the store?
About a year ago a patient told me she was putting butter in her coffee every morning. My jaw dropped. I thought that was the worst idea I had ever heard. Fast-forward 12 months. Not only have I tried the latest craze of “Bulletproof” coffee, I thoroughly enjoy it and understand why people feel so great. (dear patient, insert smile here.)
Now, before you think that this ND has fallen off the rails, let me provide some background on what this craziness is all about. [WARNING: conventional butter haters will be crawling in your skin]. While historically demonized, saturated fats are becoming increasingly understood to play an important role in our hormonal and brain health. The more we understand about these fats, the more we realize that the biochemistry is not as simple as whether or not something is saturated. The source of the saturated fat (think avocado vs. bacon grease) has a profound effect on the stability of the oil and it’s performance in our body. Science and common sense will attest to this difference.
Bulletproof coffee came about after the inventor, Dave Asprey, observed a significant spike in cognitive performance and energy levels after having butter added to his tea while travelling. He investigated the science and came up with his own version of the traditional drink by adding GRASS-FED butter to organic, low-mold coffee. According to Asprey, “Grass-fed butter is much healthier than other butter. It doesn’t make cholesterol levels worse, it optimizes them! Starting your day with grass-fed butter will give you lots of energy and it will give your body healthy fats that it will use to make cell walls and hormones.”
While I frequently opt for coconut oil instead of grass fed butter, the effects and flavor are the same – delicious creamy coffee and hours of focused brainpower.
I have been so impressed and excited by the work of Dave Asprey that I have started to carry his coffee and oils here in Canada. You can learn more about everything at https://www.bulletproofexec.com and order some of your own through the Shop on my website.
If you are intrigued to try some buttery coffee for yourself, you MUST use organic, grass-fed butter. The only place I know to access this is through Brookers Meats. Incidentally, Brooker’s has an excellent assortment of organic meat…. Delivered right to your door.
Intrigued? Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind.
- Do not have buttered coffee daily if you are currently being treated for high cholesterol. Let’s talk about your unique case first.
- Do not drink caffeinated coffee if you are pregnancy (I feel like this should be obvious by now.)
- Do not drink buttered coffee and an additional large breakfast. A green smoothie will likely suffice, if you choose to have anything else at all. There are a lot of calories in the coffee, for many people, this is all they have.
- Do, have a small amount of protein (almond butter, cheese, nuts, etc) before having any coffee. It helps with blood sugar management.
Still scared? I’ve got lots of other options to help get you up and focused throughout the day. Stay tuned…